Thursday, June 19, 2008

from my father's hands

Of all the things my father has made, this is the dearest to me.

I asked him not long ago to carve a nativity set for me. While we were on vacation, he carved Joseph and Mary. He would've carved Jesus too then if he had the wood but there wasn't a source for that sort of thing there.

Next he'll make one for each of my sisters and my brother.

He's also trying his hand at making icons. Do you know what he used to make the little finials on the top? Can you guess?

My parents and Seth are visiting for a week. My sister Jennifer and her family surprised us and drove them here Tuesday night. We spent yesterday afternoon crafting, all of us, while the Baby napped.

I can't wait to show you what Seth is working on. He's here on the sofa now waiting patiently for me to see if they are dry up on top of the refrigerator. I can't keep him waiting too long.

He has a buzz cut for the summer...you should see it.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

those are AWESOME!!! your dad is very talented!

Mel said...

Can't wait to see Seth's project! I'll bet he's excited to play with Baby.

Your dad does good work! I'm trying to figure out what he used for the finials on the icons, but all I can come up with is "beads."

Marietta said...

Wow! Those are amazing! You're dad is a very talented man!

Decor To Adore said...

Love it!
I am thinking gold painted beads.

Angela said...

You should use your parents as one of your inspired friends or should it be inspired family...and offer up their items on your site!

Angela

Annette D said...

My dad made all his kids clocks. This is now one of my cherished items as my dad died 2 years ago.
I know your nativity will be cherished forever!

leslie said...

Painted beads... and I love the nativity set. If your dad ever makes them to sell post it on your web... I'll be first in line to purchase a set!

Me and Him said...

I'll be 2nd in line. The nativity set is awesome.

I have no idea what the finials are, but I can't wait to find out.

April said...

Aww that nativity scene is wonderful and perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Danielle said...

Are they chess pawns? He's a very talented guy! I love your blog by the way, I'm a very visual person and your blog is always a feast for the eyes.

Shelly G said...

I love nativities... your dad is wonderfully talented...What a very special gift...

Saucy said...

Did he use earring backs?

Brooke said...

Your dad is so talented!

Sophie said...

the icons are beautiful...truly beautiful...seeing them just warms my heart.