Monday, July 7, 2008

she does ramble on

This morning I've fixed myself a "double". I have one of those coffee machines that only makes a cup at a time. It makes wee little cups...I think just 8 ounces. Today I pulled down from the cabinet a huge bowl of a mug and I made two cups at once.

I loved this nice long weekend. I cleaned my office so that it's not such a danger zone for Baby. I was thinking of getting a little kitchen set for him but maybe I'll just get a set of dishes and pots and pans and a tiny little cabinet to keep them in. He's just starting to do that sort of pretend play. It's so sweet to watch.

He had his first home-based visit with his mom on Saturday. This is very good because it's a step in the right direction and will help him transition back to her. They had a really great time and we stayed an extra long time when we came to pick him up, which is really great for the baby too.

In another month, the county social worker, Baby, and I are flying to California for a visit with the father. I'm just going along for the baby's sake. I'm dreading all of that travel all the way across the country for just one day of visiting. It seems much too much of a burden on poor Baby but this is how it has to do be.

We have lots of errands to run this morning...the library, bank, post office. We'll spend a little bit of time in the pool (which he loves so much that sometimes he just sits at the back door, with the curtain parted, pointing and saying quietly "P-uh". And while the baby naps this afternoon I'm hoping to work on projects for the next issue of the magazine.

This photo has nothing to do with anything...it's just a cute little set that I love. The wolf in bed has migrated up to the baby's room. He has a whole cast of characters that he says good night to everynight, including all the pictures on the wall. He even pretends to eat the cupcakes Jenny and Aaron made him. Too sweet for words.

10 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

As a former foster kid, let me say "thank you" for loving baby so. You are a gem.

I love your the Red Riding Hood set too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my....all the way across country for one day of visiting....Amy, you are indeed a gem; a one in a million. I wish you both nice smooth flights and no ear issues for baby. Reminds me of flights with my youngest many years ago when he was getting over an ear infection. We got him through take-offs and landings with the help of gummi bears! Worked great! ;)

Cherie said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks. I have really been enjoying it ALOT! You have given me to inspiration to have a creative journal!! Thanks for that!! I just wanted to stop lurking and say Hi. Thanks for sharing your life with me! Have a great week!!

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to hear how well Baby is doing and what a wonderful foster mama you are. Thank you so much for sharing these sweet insights into such precious innocence.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the history of baby, but I was one of those kids without parents. So I too commend you on your obvious love and dedication and unselfishness. You are an inspiration.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

it's along trek, just plan well and you'll be ok...if i can be of any help during your stay in CA...let me know...my doors are open!
earthmothr@aol.com

naveljelly studios said...

TAG! You've been nominated for a BLOG award - thank you for such wonderful inspiration & enjoyment!

Saucy said...

Oh Amy what a trip ahead of you. Godspeed. I wish that they would arrange father to come to you, not the other way 'round.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You make my heart happy!

love you!

Happy Summer!
xoxo from the jersey shore!
Jenny

Kim -today's creative blog said...

good luck on your trip. Take a good book.

I thought of you this weekend. I was at a garage sale and came across a box of Dick and Jane books......it was packed and it was only $20! But I didn't buy them.